Let’s look at the Magic Desktop. In today’s day and age, we hear the most frightening things about what children can get up to, or be exposed to, when they use the internet. The statistics of cyber bullying from peers are horrific, the things they might view while browsing are more scary than a Stephen King film, and that’s not even to mention the many children who become victims of pedophiles and others who target them on the internet.
It’s enough to make a parent (especially one like me) drag my kids into a cave and pretend that we still only have smoke-signals to communicate with other villages… but alas technology has moved well beyond that.
And let’s face it…that’s a good thing (it really can be). As parents, we cannot shy away from technology. Technology has offered a new global cyber language that allows connections that cross almost every barrier conceivable; and our children need to be taught how to become more fluent in this language, and how to maneuver around the world of the internet as safely as possible.
Let me “bring this home” quickly. I was both surprised and impressed when I heard that my Kindergartner was using an Ipad in class. I know that he is very fortunate to be in a school that has these facilities, but there is always that nagging feeling of what he may come across, wether it be on the school Ipad or the one we have at home.
So I was super impressed when I was contacted by Magic Desktop, and asked to have a look at their program. Watch this clip, you won’t be disappointed. I wasn’t!
How impressive is that!
Here’s what I like most about it:
1. Magic Desktop is not just another program for kids. It’s a platform that allows parents to confidently leave children to use the internet unsupervised. How awesome if that?!? Children cannot access any of our files (protecting sensitive family info from those who would try to access it through our children), or system settings (so they are unable to change any of the security measures we put in place), OR be exposed to inappropriate content (and let’s be honest, that’s a huge benefit!).
2. Children can enjoy all their programs by launching them from within Magic Desktop.
3. All wallpapers are interactive, so our children can have a lot of fun, without even opening a program.
4. It is password-protected, so we can decide what our children do within Magic Desktop, we can set restrictions for certain programs, or for the entire computer!
5. This is my favorite!! Children CANNOT leave this safe environment on their own, they need to have access to your password. Therefore making it impossible for them to get into OUR programs.
6. There are over 50 000 interactive, educational videos, games and activities.
7. From the age of 2 to 12. Whether reading or geography, it’s all here. Parents can even review their children’s performance and decide which activities need more attention.
8. Children can have their own email address and, because parents need to approve senders, all mail from unapproved email addresses go straight into quarantine where parents have to assess them. Now that rocks!
9. It gets even better, children are able to browse the internet within the program but only on approved zones. For eg: National Geographic. But, If there is an external link and the child clicks on it, it will be automatically blocked! Kids can then add a blocked website to their wish list, for their parents to approve.
10. Lastly, this platform has an “Active Parents” control, where the parent can log in from any device to check what their child has been up to… Now this I like.
The idea behind Magic Desktop is that it turns the Windows operational system into a safe and educational playground for kids! And it works!
I personally found my experience with Magic Desktop amazing. It was safe, easy and most of all, FUN for my kids to use and explore! There is just SO much to choose from. It’s vibrant, exciting, and even has some of the latest fads ie: Dora The Explorer, etc. joining in as well!
My kids adored this program, and I was comforted by the fact that I knew my kids could enjoy technology at it’s safest!
Give it a try, I’m certain you will love it.
You can find Magic Desktop at
Website – www.magicdesktop.com
Facebook – Easybits Magic Desktop
Twitter – @MagicDesktop
*disclosure – I did not receive payment for this review.
Jacqui, it was a real pleasure collaborating with you! We are so happy to hear that your kids enjoyed the software so much! It’s true: if used correctly, technology can be a powerful educational tool and have a positive impact on children’s development.
Only a pleasure! It was great working with you! Magic Desktop is a fantastic product! x
This looks awesome! We are looking at getting a laptop and I know my young boys will soon want to be on it as well. This seems like an awesome program for them to use. They are only 3-4 right now, so it would be worth the lifetime license for us. Do you have it for your little ones? Thanks for the share!
Hi Ben. I really enjoyed using Magic Desktop. My kids loved it to. There is so much variety, which is great. I have a demo, but will definitely be looking into purchasing the software. Hope you enjoy it as much I do!
Oh wow this looks brilliant! My toddler loves watching YouTube videos but I’m scared of her watching the wrong ones. Will have to give this a proper look. Thanks for sharing #KCACOLS
I know, I feel the same way, and some of the adverts in between the program are not the best either! Thanks for reading!
That’s a really great idea. It’s such a minefield, yet so important that we allow our children to embrace technology too. My daughter is 10 now and we have the very strict controls in place, yet I can see how very easy it is as they become older and wiser to end up viewing the wrong material – quite unintentionally. I love that the nurseries are getting the children involved with IT – I know it is positively encouraged by Ofsted. This makes something like Magic Desktop very appealing doesn’t it. #KCACOLS
You are so right! It’s a frightening yet unavoidable reality! Thanks for reading!
I love the look of this! My nephew would really enjoy it!
My daughter is only 6 months old but if she sees a screen, whether thats a laptop, ipad or phone she is hooked. I try not to expose her to a lot of screen time buts it’s hard!
Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday
It’s great! Thanks for reading! x
This looks like such a great program! I couldn’t agree more, I previously was well against my children playing with technology from a young age but I’ve not realised that the world is going more in the direction of technology and I think we need to embrace it, but safely. Its so nice to see companies making computers and tables a safe place for our children to learn. Thank you for linking to #bigpinklink
It’s great knowing that there are companies working on making a safe “internet” experience for our children!! x Thanks for reading!
Wow this looks really cool. Your right, our kids are growing up with the Internet and do protecting from it. Love this! #KCACOLS
Thank you! It’s a great product! x
Fair play and hats off to the companies that are able to sophisticatedly create programs like this. I am100% for the use of technology with children but as with everything we are responsible for protecting our children. This product looks very trustworthy. Thanks for sharing. I hadn’t heard of it before #KCACOLS
Totally agree with you! xx Thanks for reading!
Sounds fantastic. A far cry from when I was young and there was no need to police what my Sister and I were doing on it as there was no internet!
I love the fact you can log in from elsewhere and see what they have been doing on it.
Oh yes, I agree. I LOVE the fact that a parent can keep “tabs” from another device! Such a clever idea. xx Thanks for reading!
That looks great. It is a real worry when kids are online as its hard to know what they are doing. #kcacols
It is, isn’t it! a GREAT product! xx Thanks for reading!
totally agree that this looks pretty awesome. My 13 month year old is taking an interest of my phone now and I am thinking of setting up a tablet for him to use safely. Thanks for linking up to #abrandnewday
It’s great to have something you can rely on!