A Fun Summer Activity For Kids – I’ve been wanting to start a herb garden for a while now. We can grow our own herbs in the eggshells of our chickens. It will be fun, messy and an outdoor activity… 3 of my favourite things! This is by far the most simple, cute and easy way for kids to plant herbs, (well, that’s what I think). And it’s an extra bonus that we have eggs from our own chickens to use.
In order to manage expectations, let me be honest. I have done a little bit of gardening in the past, but I am no pro, this is purely experimental! But I really love this idea!
Herbs In An Eggshell.
You will need
- Eggs – Obviously :)
- Empty Egg Carton
- Herb Seeds
- Aluminium Foil
- Find a delicious recipe for dinner and start cracking those eggs. Remember to gently tap around the top of the egg, a dessert spoon works best. Imagine yourself making boiled eggs and soldiers for your kids for breakfast.
- Use the Aluminum Foil to cover your egg carton. this will prevent it from softening when you are watering your herbs.
- Pour the raw egg into a container for later use (that yummy recipe); carefully wash the emptied eggshell in warm water. Do not use soap. Let these dry overnight in the egg carton on your kitchen windowsill.
- Now this can get quite messy, especially if our children are involved, so find a space you don’t mind getting dirty – OUTSIDE. Grab your compost and carefully fill each eggshell, making a funnel out of cardboard works great!
- Grab your seeds, and gently, using tweezers or a small spoon, put a few in the centre just under the soil. You can dampen the soil just before. Not too much though.
- Now the fun part begins. Put your egg tray on the windowsill and wait.. and wait.
- Once they begin to grow, fill a larger gardening pot with compost-rich soil and gently crush the eggshell into the pot (being careful not to damage the little plant), then plant the herbs in the soil… The eggshells act as a nutrient as well as a pest control.