You know… There are days when it is just so easy for me to focus on the negatives – I’ll admit this is one of my constant battles. On days like those it seems to me that from the moment I open my eyes the “busy-ness” of the day just takes over… I grump because my coffee’s cold, because Daisy has thrown her cereal all over the floor; Bumble-bee is screaming because she didn’t get to kiss her father 10x before he left for work; HULK is running around jumping of every piece of furniture that’ll hold his weight (and even some that won’t); and my dear SIR -bless him – is the only one quietly playing with his toys (just like me, it appears, he’s trying to avoid the noise and chaos swirling all around him).
These last few weeks have been hectic for my family, and we’ve all had our reserves of patience stretched fairly thin. So today I thought I would turn my grumping around and think of all the things that were good.
So here goes…
- We’ve been blessed with rain these last 2 days, so we grabbed our Gumboots and the kids enjoyed riding their bikes in the rain and jumping in a few puddles. It was so much fun watching them laugh and shriek with joy! Not to mention how desperately our garden needed the rain!
- My Daisy is learning so many new words… Earlier today Bumble-bee bumped her nose and it bled, Daisy piped up: “Bum, you ok? You bleeding!” (cue the wince, and crinkling nose, with eyes shut tight, as if she shared her sister’s pain)… It’s always amazing to hear those new words. She is growing up way too fast!
- SIR himself has been reading so beautifully… He practices every day, and is working really hard to keep improving. He’s also writing very neatly. Needless to say, he is SO excited for First Grade. He really is such a diligent little man!
- Bumble-bee was quite pleased that they could skip a nap this week and watch a movie instead… Her words: “Mommy, you’re AWESOME.” It’s amazing how little pleasures just make their whole day more perfect, oh if only we adults would learn from them. She is a real little sweetheart.
- HULK has been spending every day practicing to write his name and recognize numbers to get ready for Kindergarten. He has the biggest grin on his face when he does it correctly. He is such a carefree chap, and I know he would rather be catching frogs than sitting at the table doing writing exercises, so I am just brim-full of pride. 🙂
- I know this might seem a small thing, but having my husband come home and help me pack away the laundry is a HUGE help… OK, OK, he packs it away while I watch. But it is a beautiful sight (he’s the hottest laundry man there ever was!). I’m so thankful for his help around the house. And he never moans about it.
- Having a Skype chat with my mom and getting to laugh about the mundane, puts it all into perspective.
- Looking for Daisy, only to find her sitting on the toilet, fully clothed… I know these last milestones are going to fly by. I just want to slow it all down.
- Watching the kids get their “dance” moves going on the spur of the moment, thinking, if only life were so simple (perhaps it is, and we just don’t realize it).
- Chatting to a special friend who is now cancer free… I have no words. The emotions that run through me. Just incredibly humbled and thankful!
Realizing that every now and then, it’s good to just step back and be thankful for the little things, because one day, they will end up being the big things!
One Messy Mama